Nav Button Bar

Friday 24 January 2014

Slaying the Pendragon - Quick and Easy ... if you know how!

There are many fights in Wizard101 that are quite challenging.  Bosses that cheat, myth bosses (you just gotta hate Earthquake!) and minions that shield.  Some of these fights can really take ages.

I still remember my first 'hard' fight.  I was with Alia and Blaze and we were taking on Jotun and all of his brothers (although I think they have made this fight easier now - I don't really like it when they do that).  The fight took us nearly an hour - <phew> What a marathon.

Of course, now poor Jotun is easy pickings...and I know that some fights can take much longer, especially a tough PvP, depending on your level.

Still, KingsIsle keep finding ways to make fights challenging.  I like a fight where you actually might die - one that requires skill instead of simply pounding.  The Tower of the Helephant is a good example of this.

But, back to the topic today.  The penultimate fight in Avalon - the Pendragon.  The Avalon story is nearly at a close, but there is another twist...as you are about to discover!  (don't watch the video, spoiler alert!)

The Pendragon fight is an interesting one, with a cheat that you can really use against this poor boss.

As soon as you start the fight, a Fire Dragon is cast by the Pendragon (so stagger your entry into this fight if you cannot finish it quickly).  This is no ordinary Fire Dragon, this one goes for 200 rounds!  It is not particularly powerful, but it is annoying, and it just keeps going around.  Before you realise it, you can have lost a fair bit of health.

Well, thanks to the ever tricky school of Myth, combined with one of the most useless Fire spells available, there are ways and means of beating this tough guy without even breaking a sweat.

First, we make sure the Pendragon has cast his Fire Dragon spell and it is currently activate.   Then, it is a simple case of "Shift" to push the spell back to where it came from, followed by "Detonate".  This will then instantly apply all 200 rounds (or whatever is left) to his hide, and with any luck there is enough left in it for an instant kill!

Check the video to see what Blaze and I did to him while Blaze was farming for Huckleberries, with only one card in my deck :)


So there you have it.  One dead Pendragon in no time at all...

Understanding your spells and their capability is a key part of winning the game of Wizard101 - enjoy it!

See you 'round the Spiral!

Morgrim

6 comments:

  1. This is the single most fantastic Wizard 101 tip I've ever seen! Now I can't wait to try it out! Of course my biggest wizard is only level 55 and I don't have either of those spells... so I have quite a bit of work to do! Well done, Morgrim, and I'm greatly enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trish,

    Well, what can I say, thank you!

    Getting these two spells can be a little tricky, but even if you are not Ice or Fire, there is gear that can get you the spells you need. It is a very handy trick and one of the few useful uses for Detonate (IMHO).

    That said, don't you just love using the bad guy's benefits against them?

    See you 'round the Spiral!

    Morgrim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings, Morgrim!
    Thanks for that wonderful tip. Learning more about the intricacies of Pendragon will definitely help in the long run, know thy enemy and all. So this leads to something I heard about Pendragon that I hope you might be able to confirm. I've been hearing rumors that the Sword of Kings has a chance to one-hit KO Pendragon. Is this true, and if it is, how do you go about trying to accomplish this feat?
    Thanks again, and may the Spiral grant you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings Joshua!

    Yes, I have heard that also, but when I last looked into it, it was just a rumour, not a fact. I haven't ever heard of it working, so I'm sorry, I can't help!

    ...and when you think of how combat works in W101, I think it would be pretty strange if that did work...

    See you 'round the Spiral!

    Morgrim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can one wizard do the Shift spell and the other do the Detonate spell?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it ok if one wizard casts the Shift spell and the other wizard casts the Detonate spell?

    ReplyDelete